My pressure cooker/canner arrived today!! I've officially caught the food storage bug, and I'm pretty sure Quin thinks I've lost it. :) He's over the inital disgust with the whole bottled meats thing and is now trying to wrap his head around my 72-hour kit wishlist. I have to admit, some items on my list would suggest that I'm preparing the whole family to be dropped in the middle of the Sahara to fin for ourselves, Bear Giles style.
For those of you who don't know, this is Bear Grylls. He kills his own food and drinks his own pee on a show called Man vs. Wild.Anyway, back to the pressure canner... I've been looking forward to concentrating on our family's food storage and emergency preparedness for a while now. I always hoped I would be able to make time to do the research and the work once I was a stay-at-home and no longer working. And now I have (but I guess I'm lucky that there wasn't an emergency in the interim). Plus, I have a totally different perspective now that Miller is here. It feels really good to know that he'll be taken care of in case of emergency (personal, financial, natural, etc.).
I bought some chicken breast on sale at the local farmers market this weekend and I plan to can it before we leave for California on Friday. If you promise to keep your fingers crossed, I promise to keep you posted. Eeek!


10 comments:
I love Bear! Chad and I watch his show all the time. Did you know he's working on a series called "Urban Survival"? I guess he'll teach you how to survive the after-effects of disasters such as earthquakes or biochemical warfare. Anyway, I'm excited for it.
Way to go on the food storage! It's a lot of work, but totally worth it. You'll have to share any tips you find. I swear, it's a never-ending task!
He drinks his own pee? Gross.
Pierce is really into the food storage/ 72 hour kit thing. Not that I'm opposed to it, but I'm pretty sure we're struggling as it is to get by right now.
Good for you. Mom, Malinda and Erin could probably share lots of advice on this one.
Oh and we LOVE Bear Grylls!! Sometimes, I seriously cannot even watch because it is so gross, but it is so interesting!! I think we have seen them all.
I love the pictures of miller! They are SOOO cute! I can't wait to see him this weekend.
YOU DID IT! You did the Blog List. I am so very proud of you. I was worried all day if you would be able to do it. :) No more worrying.
Remember now that strange emotions are in our genes. I looked at your "3 Months" post and started tearing up. You and Miller are absolutely beautiful--just angels.
I just did this with Courtney's pressure cooker today. The chicken is the pot right now and I am in the kitchen making sure the house doesn't blow up. Where did you get yours?
Yeah! Seth thinks I'm nuts too but it is totally addicting and is really fun! Let me know if you need any help with any of it! I'm not a pro but have learned a few tricks here and there along the way!
Yeah! Seth thinks I'm nuts too but it is totally addicting and is really fun! Let me know if you need any help with any of it! I'm not a pro but have learned a few tricks here and there along the way!
Post a Comment