Thursday, March 13, 2008

What's Up With Maternity Clothes

Why do they make maternity clothes so baggy?!! Yes, I need the extra room around the middle, but I don't need that same amount of room around my hips, thighs, calves and ankles!

In preparation for my ten-day escape to Puerto Rico tonight (or should I say tomorrow morning?), I tried on some maternity pants last night... I'm already short; I don't need pants that are as wide as the length of my little legs to make me look even shorter! And why are they all sized S, M, L and XL? Small is not a one-size fits all. Can you imagine how big those pants are on really little girls? I'm not that little and I'm swimming in these pants!

I'm sure the same goes for you taller girls. Is baggy supposed to be more comfortable? I appreciate the thought, but I'm not too comfortable kicking around all this extra material! I just need a stretchy waste-band (which ARE wonderfully comfortable, btw).

I was able to find one pair of not-so-frumpy jeans by Motherhood Maternity - Fabulous Fit (patent pending). Of course, they're too long so I'll only be wearing them with heels (comfortable?)! Oh well, I have plenty of pants and shorts that I can wear low enough, so I should be fine (read: I overpacked just in case). I'm crossing my fingers that Peanut doesn't go through another growth spurt over the next week and a half (naive, I know!).

Anyway, that's my soap box for today. There will be plenty of pics and less ranting very, very soon.

10 comments:

Katy said...

Don't worry. Just go to the outlet stores at Old San Juan and find some store that'll have maternity clothes--I don't know if that store exists, but it should! Anyway, point is, go to Old San Juan; the buildings are so fun!

ambyr said...

I totally just get a bigger size shirt REGULAR shirt...so it fits tighter and cuter than a maternity shirt. As far as pants....I did the same thing....just got a bigger regular size UNITL I totally HAD to get pants. I found these awesome ones at GAP. Their my fav. They have an adjustable waste band like they do with kids clothes nowadays. Anyway, hope this helps. It is possible to still look cute...promise!! Have so much fun on your trip...send your parents my love, I miss them.

Erin said...

Order shirts from down east (not maternity), just in a bigger size than normal...they're plenty long and look cute and fitted. As for the bottoms, spend the extra money on these and just rotate! I had good luck at gap (sales and the outlet) and mimi maternity (good sales)...

Find some friends and start a maternity clothes coop!! It's helped me tons! A few of us just rotate all of our maternity clothes amongst each other and now, we have every season covered :)

Tami said...

Yeah, I always wondered the same thing about maternity clothes. I am almost 5'9" and I was swimming in a lot of "Smalls" as well. I couldn't believe it. I always wondered what actual small people did! But yeah, I also got the bigger fitted shirts, and shared around a lot with sisters and friends. Luckily now, there are also a lot of shirts that are looser and long that are in style and can accommodate a bump for a while. Good luck!

Colton and Ashley said...

Um yuck! Remind me this when I'm prego....that's weird they make them SO big. And you are Tiny so I can only imagine! I guess just wear your regular jeans and put a rubber band around the button. That's what the girls in my fam do.

Alyse said...

I totally know! The smalls were super baggy on me- even when I was like 8 months prego, they were still totally huge! I just wonder who wears the larges...geeesh! But, I did find a good pair of pants at target...i wore them from start to finish.

Regina said...

Okay, maybe I am larger than everyone else that has posted, but pre-preg, I am like a 2 or 4 and by the last couple months or even more, regular clothes would have laughed in my face. I needen maternity clothes for sure. With the belly, regular shirts became to short and I am super picky about that. Regular shade shirts worked fine the whole time. I found my jeans at Motherhood too and I wore them the entire time. Its tough, I know. Try old Navy, always worked for plain stuff you can wear over and over again!

Pierce and Stacy said...

I have tagged you and you shall obey. :)

Kendria said...

GAP is where I found the "best" clothes, but to tell you the truth- they all suck! I was just lucky that Baby Doll tees were back in style- Maternity clothes are overrated as far as I am concerned... Good luck! Have fun in Puerto Rico! Did you get fabric so your mom could make you your bedding?

wendy said...

Congrats on having a boy! It seems the Arlington water ya'll drank while growing up did something to all of you who have boys, boys and more boys! Have fun w/your folks! I talked to you mom today and she told me you were visiting. It looks pretty awesome there!