Thursday, February 07, 2008

Caucus

Quin and I participated in our precinct's caucus on Tuesday. Apparently, there were a record number of people in attendance for both parties here in Colorado (and everywhere else for that matter). In fact, the parking lots were full and I've heard that dozens of people were turned away because they couldn't get parked before the doors were closed.

After we voted, we were surprised to discover, along with everyone else in the room, that the winning candidates from each party would not actually be awarded any delegates. Turns out, our attendance was only good for poll indications and ultimately has no bearings on our delegates votes. I know I admit all of this at the risk of sounding ignorant, but I'm pretty sure that none of you (except maybe my brother-in-law, Zack) knew this either. I can guarantee that the other 50 people in our precinct room didn't know that our votes were just for poll readings. (side note: some person in our precinct voted for Tom Tancredo. Are you kidding me?! )

As you know, Mitt won the Colorado GOP vote and I guess we can count ourselves as part of that number. However, I just read that Mitt has suspended his campaign. Romney says that although he disagrees with McCain on many issues, he feels that his own competeing campaign will only make it easier for one of the Democratic campaigns to win. Romney added, "If this were only about me, I can go on. But its never been only about me. I entered this race... because I love America, and because I love America, in this time of war, I feel I now have to stand aside, for our party and for our country."

I don't like that this has to boil down to the war, but it does. And although I'm not happy about it, I guess Romney didn't have much of a choice. This obviously shows his great character. And I think it's safe to say, no matter who you're voting for, that it's obviously time for Huckabee to follow suit.

Goodness, I'm not usually this vocal about politics. In fact, I really don't like reading about political views on other people's blogs (even if they match my own views)! I guess I haven't said much here other than the obvious, but clearly this blog is as much for me and my musings as it is for any of you ;).

3 comments:

Tami said...

So bummed about Romney, too! We love him - even without the Mormon factor. I grew up with his wife's family - the Davies, and Brent was BYU buddies with one of his sons.. We were excited to have someone to whole heartedly root for. I hope he runs again. I think he handled the whole situation with such class. My question is, now who the heck do we vote for?? Sucky, sucky. And I hate politics in general too, but this has been an exciting race.

Kendria said...

We went too and I am pretty sad he dropped out too, but like you said... it just shows his character... GO MCCAIN I guess 'eh?

Colton and Ashley said...

Yep yep. This was the news today. What a bummer. I guess we just have to make the best of it. Go to my blog and click on Neilson and Vanessa Ray...they posted a great article about Romney and his motives for only "suspending" his campaign.