Background: Katy likes this boy, Jay, that she's really good friends with and decided that she needed to tell him. In fact, she was supposed to tell him by the end of the day on Monday...
Tuesday morning I emailed Katy to get the scoop on Monday night's happenings with Jay. Apparently, she didn't get to talk to him about it because she got home really late, but he did send her a cute email. She forwarded this email to me:
Hey Katy Bunstall,
Hey Nate and I decided that we would send you this little gift to show you how much we love you and how grateful we are for always putting up with us. Especially Nate. Love you.
Jay and Nate
Attached was a study guide or something. Anyway, I closed the attachment and wrote to Katy:
Cute! He obviously likes you - at least as a REALLY good "friend". I bet he'd love to date you! I can't wait to hear how this turns out!!
Jordan
Around 4:15pm Katy emails me again at work and asks if I recieved her two emails. I hadn't recieved anything so I asked her to resend the messages. Well, she sends me the two emails that I got much earlier that day. "Oh yeah" says me - "I replied to you already, but I guess you didn't get it so I'll resend my response." So I sift through my Sent Items and found the email in question. As I move to Forward the message to her... OH MY GOSH!!!! (repeated 7 times). MY REPLY WAS SENT TO JAY AND NOT KATY!!! This is where my stomach knots up and I am, pretty literally, SICK. (Please take a moment to reread the terrible email I sent to Jay that was meant for Katy).
I frantically called Katy and she didn't answer. So here's my next email:
I JUST TRIED CALLING YOU!! I HAVE REALLY REALLY BAD NEWS - I REPLIED TO AN EMAIL YOU FORWARDED FROM JAY AND SOMEHOW THE REPLY WENT TO JAY AND NOT YOU. I AM NOT KIDDING! MY CO-WORKER CAN CONFIRM - BUT WE STILL DON'T KNOW HOW THIS HAPPENED. CALL ME!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, no immediate call back and in the meantime, I figured out what happened. Here's my next email:
OMG!! I JUST FIGURED OUT WHAT I DID – I ACCIDENTALLY REPLIED TO ONE OF THE ATTACHMENTS I OPENED AND NOT YOUR EMAIL. I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO SAY… CALL ME!
I called Katy again and she picked up. She's in the library so we have to whisper, "Katy did you get my emails?" (picture me whisper-yelling). So she opens her email and reads/gasps... then the next email - gasp, gasp... then finally, the mother load - gasp, gasp, gasp. The worst part is knowing that I caused ALL of this and there was absolutely nothing I could do to fix it.
We hang up so Katy can work on hacking into Jay's email account to delete the message. "What makes her think he hasn't already read it", you ask? Jay just happens to be on a flight home after finishing his finals. Berkley (Katy's "johnny-on-the-spot" roommate) text messaged Bryce, Jay's roommate, to get the email password. "Is this about this morning's email?", he texts back. OH NO! In the meantime, Katy called their apartment and the other roommate, David, picked up, "Katy, do you like Jay?" Apparently, Jay read the email earlier that monring, before boarding his flight and also told his roomies about it.
This is Terrible (with a capital T)! I called Katy to see if we were still on talking terms. She sounded very somber, but insisted that we were "fine". Not only had I managed to ruin her social life all by myself, but now she wasn't able to concentrate on her studies for the two finals she had to take on Wednesday. (I still don't know if she was more upset about the Jay thing or the study thing).
We decided that she should text Jay to acknowledge what happened, so I dictated (something like this):
I'm sorry about this morning's awkwardness. I just found out what happened. I was trying to figure out how to tell you something, but my ditzy sister did it for me. I'm embarassed.
Then text message #2 (me still dictating):
To dispell the awkwardness...I didn't read into your email the same way my sister did. (I forgot the rest of it)
Katy calls me back 30 seconds later to tell me Jay's response:
You have nothing to worry about. I know how family members can be; they like to kid.
Well, he didn't necessarily profess his love, but he isn't being weird about it. I guess we'll see what happens when he gets back to school. What else is there to say? Here's the remainder of our conversation:
K - Well, nothing embarassing has ever really happened to me before.
J - So this is refreshing or just new? :)
K - I guess I can look forward to many more embarassing moments (still somber sounding)
J - Well, if you keep me around, I guarantee I can do that for you :)
K - Chuckle (finally)
I have since made Katy promise that she must continue to confide in me. I am happy to say that she has already shared two more confidential emails with me. :) Brave girl.
I know, I'm an IDIOT.
1 year ago


5 comments:
wow -- that was really long. I hope everyone really enjoyed reading that.
jo - you had me rolling...great narration! kates - looks like you handled a near disaster very well and everything is working out...just keep rolling with it, this might turn into one of the stories you love to tell in a few years ;)
e
Oh my!! I saw this long post, and it just kept getting more and more intriguing the more I read. In the end, I bet you probably helped the situation. It has to be hard to tell a guy how you feel.
Classic.
So, I figured out how to put music on my site without stealing it from your html code. You should check it out sometime.
Post a Comment