Saturday, July 19, 2008

One week Old (on thursday)

Miller turned one week old on Thursday.  We put him on his stomach for the first time so that we could get some pictures.  We were surprised at how much he seemed to enjoy being on his stomach.  Then suddenly, he turned his head toward me.  We were shocked!  Then he did it again!!  My mom was really, really shocked.  We got this third head turn on video.  What a neat birthday trick!
Miller is eating and sleeping well.  We're so happy to have a beautiful, healthy baby.  My favorite thing is how he "tells" me he's hungry.  I'll post a picture or video of that soon.  We love our sweet little boy!  We often wonder what he would even fuss about if he didn't have gassy stomach aches.  Luckily, he seems to be working through the gas pretty well, but I hate to see him struggle with it.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions for Miller's gassy tummy.  :)




18 comments:

Alyse said...

Ohhh he is SO CUTE! I can't wait to see him! I love his hair! What an adorable little guy!

Pierce and Stacy said...

"Could you do those tricks in the hospital???" Puh-lease Jordan. He was doing tricks in yo tummy.

Colton and Ashley said...

What a strong little boy! He's adorable!

Tami said...

There are these baby gas drops - I can't remember what they are called. but they are in the baby section by like the shampoo, teething stuff, baby tylenol, at Walmart and Target. You give them a couple drops from a dropper like Tylenol or something and they are supposed to help. I never noticed much of a difference when my kids had gas issues - but I certainly used it anyways. Some of my friends swear it really helped with their babies... Good luck. They always grow out of it, anyways.

Tami said...

Oh and that's awesome that he is already sleeping so well! Very impressive. If you can get him sleeping through the night without any feedings at a week or 2 old - I will think you guys are some sort of parenting genies.

Skinners said...

How on earth did you get such a good sleeper? Do you want to trade?! I'm so sad I am in AZ and can't be there to meet him! Keep the good tricks coming! What a smart, stong boy! What side of the family does that come from? ;)

About the gas. I have a few suggestions. Mylicon is my first choice. It won't hurt them and seemed to help my kids. Gripe water is another good one and can be found like at Walgreens. One trick my sister-in-law taught me that was awesome was to pump their legs. Lay him on his back and gently bend his knees up to his tummy and to the sides. One more, we would hold Chloe lying on our arm and rubbing her back with the other hand while standing. It worked for her. I know some of these are crazy but whatever you can get to work! Good luck!

Teri said...

You might want to try this for the gas problem: if you're nursing, completely stop ALL foods that YOU are eating that contain lactose, casein, and whey (which is all dairy). I wish I'd known about "dairy problems" back when my kids were little. Then try to not introduce dairy at all for the child until he/she is at least 2-3 years old.

Also, something else I have learned the hard way: keep them CRAWLING for as long as possible! It is what "builds" the foundation of their brain!!!

Good luck! He is just adorable!!! Maybe we'll see y'all at Stacy's wedding open house down here in Tx!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting a video of Miller! I can't believe he can do that at one week old (not to mention sleep so well at night). It's so sweet to see you interact with your son! Love ya!

Regina said...

He is so cute!! I love the video! Dairy, chocolate, brocolli, spicy foods (among others) are all supposedly a cause for gassy tummies. I gave Kelly Mylicon when he was a day old, and I am so glad I did. It doesn't absorb into their blood, so is very safe and, for us, effective. The colic hold soothes their tummy really well too. (hold him on his tummy across one arm with his head in your elbow crease). It is so great that he is a good sleeper! Kelly was too, so I am sure we will realize how lucky we were when we have our next ones! You are doing a great job!!!

Kendria said...

Isn't it amazing that he already knows his MOMMY's voice?! Doesn't it melt your heart... That is so cute. Sounds like you have a SUPER BABY. I would have died and gone to heaven if Deacon was that good of a sleeper so early on. Sleeping just wasn't his forte... He would way rather be awake making a mess or talking someone's ear off... Sounds like someone I am married too. :) Glad he is being so good for you... He is getting big already! When can I come and visit again?

Kendria said...

P.S. Courtney has all the tricks I tried... The leg pumping helped and you pretty much can't eat anything with flavor- Oatmeal, Oatmeal, Oatmeal... hehehehe! It will get better. Te lo prometo.

Tami said...

Mylicon!! That's the name of it! I knew someone else would come up with the same thing...

Colton and Ashley said...

Happy one week old birthday Miller!

Katy said...

Favorite part--"I'm the best boy ever. I'm the best boy in the world." And I am sure he was thinking just that.

Maegan said...

Hey, Miller is so cute. On a side note, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is not recommended that you go longer than 5 hours between feedings until you have your milk supply established, which is about 6 weeks old. Also, if Miller does not eat at least once in the night, like even at midnight, he will not get enough nutrients and will not be able to gain weight. Working with lactation consultants and as a RN in the mom/baby, NICU department has taught me this so though sleep is important, your baby needs to eat every 2-3 hours with one break of 5 hours for the first six weeks of life.

Pierce and Stacy said...

OK, you've shown that you can and do get lots of comments.... Y'all are cool. I admit it. FINE.

So, my point in writing this is to convince you to write again and see how many comments you get this time. I dare you. Double dog dare you. :)

Colton and Ashley said...

Hey....ps some of us live out of state and I believe that Miller is 2 weeks old now? How about some more pictures? Or...a daily update would be quite wonderful! Oh yeah...I hope you're doing good too. :)

Anonymous said...

Jordan, Jordan, Jordan. I have been gone for a few weeks and I come back expecting to see tons of pictures of little Miller. Oh well, I guess I'll have to see him in person on Saturday. Can't wait to see you too. :)