I understand that many people don't use their changing tables because they have to travel up or downstairs to get to it, but I live in a small, two bedroom condo so that's not an issue for me. That being the case, I'm persuaded to get one so that I have a central location for all of the diaper stuff. Otherwise, I'd have diapers and wipes (ETC) all over my house, which is not good when you live in such a small place. Also, I guess I could always use a little extra storage space (under the table). Plus, there are lots of cheap ones on Craigslist.
However, I'm sure that I won't be using the table much as our little boy gets bigger because I won't want to lift him. We'll be in this condo for another 2 years, at least, so how much of that time will it be in use? Also, the changing table would probably need to be near the nursery door, so I wouldn't be able to open the door all the way without bumping into it.
Anyway, please chime in here. I'd love to hear what you think.


21 comments:
Kelly still sleeps in his pack n play in our room which has a changing station attached to it. I use it for every single diaper change, clothing change, and after baths to dry him off and lotion him up. When he is 6 weeks he will move to his room where I bought a regular dresser and put a changing pad on it. That way, when he doesnt need his changing table, it's just a regular dresser. Short answer, YES, you want one.
Ok, after 2 kids and almost 5 years of diapers here is my 2 cents: I really don't think you need an "official" changing table. Though I LOVE to be organized and have a place for all the baby junk - but a dresser or closet organizers work just as well. And even still I ended up just stashing diapers and wipes all over the house cuz it's a pain to have to run and get them all the time. I bought a dresser and put a changing pad on it and never even used that. Though we have gotten lots of use out of the dresser in multiple rooms. We always just changed the kids on a blankie on the floor, on beds, on their pack and play changing table attachment, or in their crib (where the front slides down). Honestly, they out grow the little changing tables and pads SO FAST. And they start moving around like crazy once they get a little mobile (3 months!). It's hard to keep them from rolling off or from knocking everything over, banging the walls, etc. when they are up on a little table. So if anything, the little pack and play ones work fine for when they are little, or just invest in a regular dresser to store all their stuff. You can put a pad on top... Though I don't think you need it. It's so much easier to do it on the floor or another large surface. Good luck!
Wow, that was a novel. Sorry.
Don't a lot of people get the chest of drawers that has a built-in changing table on top? It's attractive and looks like you just want to keep wipes and dipes up there on top. Malinda has a black one that looks really nice. Dade's clothes go right underneath it--easy change. Is this how all changing tables are? Anyway, yeah, chest of drawers with changing table on top.
after 2 kiddos and living in all sorts of spaces, i say save your money and don't buy a changing table. in our apt when Asher was a babe, i put a changing pad with a cute cover on top of some elfa drawers that organized everything in his room and then his closet. in my g-ma's house, we put a changing pad on the bathroom counter, which i loved!! use your money on closet organization for clothes, blankets, etc. and bathroom organization for diapering stuff!
Yeah, I'd recommend just putting a changing pad on top of a nice dresser. Our condo had a built in desk in Ben's room that fit a changing pad perfectly. We actually used it for a really long time because it was just easier. And we had the chamois cover from PBK which are SO nice and soft! I think when they're little it's easier to change them at waist height (it's easier to talk to them and make silly faces) rather than on the floor where you have to bend over or on a bed where there is the chance of accidents (especially with a boy!)
Just my two cents!
I have a dresser & bought a pad for it...but I only changed him there like once or twice. He gets changed on the floor or bed...way easier & I just store his diapers and stuff in his bedroom & I also have a spot under our coffee table. So, I wouldn't spend the money & get an official changing table. hope that helps
Hey Jordan! I might be the only one here, but I used my changing table all the time. We were in the same situation as you too - living in our condo. The storage is great too - if you can find a nice one cheap on Craigslist, I say go for it!
Danica uses the changing table for me all the time, so i say go for it.
I always change diapers on the floor. When they were really little I used the pack-n-play when they were tiny but once they become even remotely mobile it's nice to just do it on the floor so you don't have to worry about them falling off anything high. I would just put a blanket or something under them in case of accidents (and there will be accidents, especially with a boy!) We keep our diaper stash in a bottom cupboard door of our entertainment center so it's easily accessible and they can watch tv while you change them to keep them somewhat distracted.
One other tip that has saved us many times is...we always have the new diaper opened and put it under the old one before taking the messy one off so there's extra protection underneath from any little escapees. And if they do have an accident you can cover them up before it gets all over. Anyway, that's my two cents, hope it helps. Good luck ;)
I just noticed that the title is "Calling on All Moms." No wonder you and Quin were laughing at me!
I'm a total dork, but it bugged me that we didn't know what David's middle name was. So I called Jared, and he just laughed.
David's middle name is...Wayne. :)
Pass on any info you get to me! I found out I'm having a girl! What a fun summer this will be for us - a HOT one too! Hope you are doing well.
Cousin Lo
I LOVE mine- Some of the time I change him on the bed, but most of the time I use the table. I like the central location for diapers, wipes, diaper cream, lotion, etc. Mine also hold his clothes down below, so it is multi-purpose! Love mine- I got it at BRAT DECOR off CRAIGSLIST!
My comments were not welcome on this post, therefore I would ask that you blog a more single-friendly, un-prego, or de-married message! That would be very much appreciated.
Plus, look at my blog.
And lastly, I was joking about my first bit. :) (well, somewhat)
Jordan,
I do not know if you remember me from Dove Valley ward but we used a changing table all the time. But we bought one from Babies R Us that was a dresser that had a spot for a changing pad, but when the child is older, it is a nice area to put lamps, etc. I think it worked great!
We use our a ton. In fact, if Chloe isn't on it Seth still uses it for Logan. We had an official changing table and now we have a dresser with a changing table spot built in. Love them both. It's nice to have a place to store stuff too. If you are concerned about space, the dresser/changing table is a good combo.
JO- look at Courtney Barksdale/Perez's blog. I think the part about the birth plan is great.... what you would like to happen before, during and after the baby is born all written out so there isn't any confusion. Very smart!
Jordan! Congratulations. I'm due in 26 days (not that I'm counting). Anyway, I've been keeping a blog since I found out that my husband I were pregnant. It covers just about every topic! Hope you get some ideas or at least can look forward to what to expect. Take care :) - Courtney Barksdale Perez
Hey stinker!! :) How are you? You look SO cute!! CONGRATS!!! So.. what is new?? K, so I will chime in on that lil changin table. I PERSONALLY think it is a waste of $$ cause you just want ti change them wherever you are at, and they will get too big for it. Also, it takes up too much space! BUT.. if you like that kind of thing, get it! :) There ya go. Hope you are doing good! I love your blog! I look at it once in a while. :)
I know this is kinda late but I figured I'd still put in my two cents. I have a traditional changing table and LOVE IT. It's got lots of great storage space. It's really nice to have everything you need in one central location. I personally dont like hunching over on the ground to do it, cause it hurts my back. And the biggest reason to have a changing table in my opinion is: Diaper changing is DIRTY business!! And Im not talking just about boys "squirting"...the poopie diapers can be a real mess. And its nice to be able to just throw the changing pad cover in the washer. I have also heard people with boys use the tables longer. Hope this helps! Good luck with the decision!
Post a Comment