Monday, August 22, 2011

Our Summer at Oma and Opa's House

We've had quite a summer so far!  The kiddos have really been growing and we've enjoyed our time at Oma and Opa's house.  Hopefully we'll make it to Houston eventually, but for now we're all soaking up the extra attention here.  :)


Emerson's new tricks:
She has the cutest, elaborate wind-up before she gives a high-five.  You may have to wait a couple of minutes before she finally lays it on you, but it's worth your time. 
When you ask her a yes or no question, she either ignores you (that means no) or she yells "yeah!" very enthusiastically.
Like all little people, she now walks around with the phone between her ear and shoulder, jabbering away.  But then she'll turn the phone side ways and point at you while yelling "cheeeeese!"  Gotta love camera phones.
She is always proud to fold her arms for prayers.  When she's really hungry at dinner time, she'll pace around the kitchen with her arms folded while we finish cooking or setting the table.  After the prayer she is very pleased to find everyone watching her to say "Amen!"
She knows all the important animal noises, she counts to three before she leaps into your arms (usually when she's wearing her blanky around her neck like a cape) and she is obsessed with naming body parts (especially nose).  I went to get her up from her nap the other day and before she even lifted her little head she stretched out her arm to point to my nose.
She's been a steady walker since the end of June and it didn't take her long to figure out how to instigate a game of chase.  She also loves to dance, especially if the music is condusive to twirling (and when it's not).
Oma is Emerson's favorite person, hands down!  It's kind of offensive. :)
She still growls all the time.  Usually it's a sign of affection or play.
She still has twelve teeth and even uses her molars to chomp on ice (much to her father's dismay).
We don't always understand what she's saying but we do know she says, "uh-oh, nana (banana), cacka (cracker), ogert (yogurt), peas (please), nor (more), bibi (binki), Na (Miller), googer (good girl), ah dun (all done), i ceam (ice cream), hi, bye bye, baby, mommy, dad, Oma, Opa, cape, etc.



Miller's new tricks and other Miller-isms:
We bought Miller a bike for his third birthday in July.  Last Tuesday Quin decided to take the training wheels off.  I know that seems too soon, but we weren't surprised when he road down our neighbors driveway by himself on his first try.  He's surprisingly coordinated.  By the third day, he could do u-turns and go up and down the driveways by himself. 
When he's not riding his bike or his scooter, he's usually in the pool.  He can swim around in the shallow end without his life jacket on and likes to dive for toys at the bottom of the steps.  And he loves going off Oma's big diving board with his swim jacket on.
We found a bee's nest the other day and he asked if they were the "stingy buggies" and they were.  Then he said, "where are all the tickle buggies?!"  Tickle buggies would be nice.
He really enjoys helping Opa around the house.  He also enjoys counting Opa's laps in the pool for his morning exercise.  He drops a rock in the bucket every time Opa makes it down and back. Then when Opa comes up for a breath he shows Opa how many laps he has left on his fingers and yells, "Good job Opa!"
The other day he came down from his nap without saying anything to me.  After about 5 minutes, I found him in the laundry room.  He had up-ended the laundry room basket and climbed up to get two different kinds of laundry spray.  Then he doused his shorts (that he soiled during nap time) with the cleaners and was shoving them into the washing machine when I walked in (+naked buns).  I couldn't help smiling and I asked him if he went pee pee in his pants and he said, "no, someone just spilled water on them" then he ran past me to go tell Oma about the "water" that "someone" spilled on his shorts.
He's really good with his ABCs and numbers, but he still struggles with his colors.  We can't tell if he's faking it or if he really doesn't know them (slightly color blind?).
Everyday when we come home from being out, Miller runs in and yells, "I'm home now Oma!"  And when my mom comes home from being out he yells, "I'm here Oma!"  Then when Quin comes home from work, Miller always says very thoughtfully, "So dad, how was work today?"
Yesterday, after church I asked Miller if he did a good job sharing in nursery and he said no.  I asked him why not and he said, "Because nobody took my toys away this time."
Then when Oma told Miller that Emerson is almost ready to come to nursery with him he said, "Oh no!" and when we asked him why he didn't want her the come he said, "Because one of my friends might hit her."
I told Miller the other day that it makes me sad when he's disobedient, but I love him even when he makes me sad.  He kissed me and said, "I love you even when you make me sad too mom."

Love these kiddies!  I'm so happy that families are forever!!

*I'll add pictures and a bike riding video when we find our camera gear.  It's currently packed away in our storage unit in Fort Worth.  Thanks to Stacy for sending me these family pictures!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing we don't live close to each other, because I would probably maul your kids.

Ariel said...

Oh my goodness, Miller is hilarious! Your kids are adorable:)