Monday, August 09, 2010

big boy bed??

After Miller's first Sunday in nursery (7 months ago) he was so overtired that we had to just put him in his crib screaming (and yawning) for his nap.  Before he actually fell asleep, he climbed NO CRASHED out of his crib, landing on his head.  It was sad, but thankfully it ended his crib escape attempts.

That is, until yesterday morning.  I think he got the idea from a conversation between me and Aunt Erin about little Roman's recent crib escapes.  I just knew he seemed too interested in that conversation!  Anyway, yesterday morning he woke up talking about something.  I turned the monitor up so Quin would remember that it was his turn to go get him, but Miller went quiet.  A few minutes passed and I heard a soft thud, but I just thought he was emptying his crib.  He always throws his bears overboard when he wakes up.  Nevertheless, I was listening very carefully because I just had that feeling...  Sure enough, two minutes later, little Miller is standing in our doorway, wide-eyed with his binky and blanket in tow.

I didn't really know what to do, so I took Miller back upstairs and into his bedroom.  I asked him if he climbed out of his crib and he said, "Mm-hm, sorry crib."  So cute.  Well, I threatened him with time-out and he promised not to do it again.  He didn't do it at nap time so I was patting myself on the back for the way I handled things.  Wrong!  Miller showed up in our room again this morning and also at nap time today. 

In case you're interested, he did get time out this morning as promised, but he was rewarded this afternoon (as we speak) with binky, blanket and a movie on the couch - not because he deserved it, but because I felt like I did!  I know I should be consistent, which is why I've decided that I'm not fighting this battle anymore. My plan was to move the crib into his new room with his big boy bed and then move him to the bed when he asked about it, but since I didn't get a big boy bed up there fast enough...he wins the crib battle, but I'll win the war!!

4 comments:

Sandra Nixon said...

Don't even fight the war! Just hop on amazon, buy a crib tent, and go back to your peaceful bed and naptimes. Seriously, i had to fight the battle for a few months with Chase when he was 17 months, it was so not worth it! He loves the crib tent and i love the security of knowing he can't get out.

Erin said...

Oh, Roman has been causing quite a bit of trouble this week with his crib hopping skills... Apparently he's not only a top-notch climber, but also a skilled "sneaker"... The boy is all over the place in the wee hours of the morning. Kinda scary!! Still debating bed or another crib tent...

Regina said...

Maybe I am naive or Kelly is just too easy on me, but it was SO MUCH easier than everyone told me it would be. We had zero problems switching him to a bed. He is really routine oriented, so he would prbably sleep in a laundry basket as long as we did the night time routine. I hope it goes great for you!!

And I have never even heard of a crib tent, I am looking them up now!

Kendria said...

I am so sorry that it is your turn for this battle. I was so glad that Deacon did so well with his BIG BOY bed this time around... I think 3 years old is a magic number! :) Good luck against those cute little words that come out of their mouths... so cute.