Tuesday, October 30, 2007

i get by with a little help from my friends

My grandma used to say that she hoped there wouldn't be any food in heaven so that we wouldn't have to bother with it. Of course, it's true that we won't actually NEED food in heaven, but why would anyone hope for such a thing?!
These days, however, I see her point... Between meal planning, shopping, putting away groceries, preparing meals, eating meals, cleaning up after meals and repeating the process - it consumes a lot of time. Time I don't really have because when I get home from work at 6pm, I'm usually trying to cram in all of the errands/projects that didn't get taken care of over the weekend (including grocery shopping). That said, I actually enjoy cooking and I LOVE finding recipes that we like, but I've discovered myself in this rut of cooking only 1 meal a week so that I have more time for other projects and errands. And yes, this means we end up eating out a lot (cheap food). We've rationalized this process because we're not totally convinced that it's more cost-effective for us to eat at home. We both come from large families, so the recipes we like are big enough to feed a small army and we NEVER finish all of the left-overs.
This brings us to the point of my ramblings... My girlfriend, Danica, asked me a month ago if I would be interested in trying Supper Solutions with her. You've heard of these "meals to go" type places that are springing up everywhere - well this is one of them. I was so skeptical that I made her go-it-alone the first month to see if it was any good. I had an entire list of reservations, including:

1. This is an insult to my domesticality.
2. Real women take care of these things on their own.
3. What about the recipes we enjoy and all of the recipes on the Food Network that I plan on cooking someday?

Then I remembered that I typically only cook one meal a week!! So last weekend, Danica and I went to Supper Solutions. I walked out an hour later with 12 prepared meals. On Sunday, I took 3 of the meals out of the freezer and into the fridge to thaw. Last night we had Lasagna Roll-ups (delicious), and tonight we're having Fish Tacos. Can you tell that I'm happy with this find? We're saving money, time and calories AND I still get to cook my own recipes when I want to!
I do plan to return to domesticality someday, but my lifestyle right now appreciates all the extra time it can get.

4 comments:

Alyse said...

That sounds like a great idea! I need to find somewhere around here to do that! By the way- you guys had such cute halloween costumes! Can't wait to see you in a month.

Erin said...

Sign me up :) I just want to cook without curious kiddos offering too much help in the kitchen!

Katy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katy said...

I make dinner tomorrow night. I understand the meal planning, shopping, preparing, cleaning after. It takes a long time! And I do it only every other week! I understand where you're coming from.